St Thomas More Catholic High School as an Academy Trust is a charitable company limited by guarantee. The Trust has two layers of governance:
• The members, who operate at a strategic level with ultimate control over the direction of the Academy Trust, and
• The Governors (often referred to as the Directors or Trustees) with responsibility for day-to-day management and operation of the Academy Trust.
The functions of the members of the Academy Trust include:
• Overseeing the achievement of the objectives of the company
• Taking part in Annual or Extraordinary General Meetings
• Appointing some of the Governors
• Signing off the company’s financial accounts and annual report
• Power to amend the Articles of the company and, ultimately, to remove the Governors/Directors
Overall, members usually have much more limited practical involvement in the management of the company than the Governors.
The Local Governing Body has a strategic role in the school outlining its aims and objectives, setting targets and reviewing progress. The day to day management of the school is the responsibility of the headteacher. The Governing Body acts as a critical friend to the headteacher providing advice, support, and challenge where necessary. The Governors work to maintain and strengthen the Catholic ethos of the school so that our pupils can develop spiritually as well as socially and academically. The Governing Body’s key responsibilities are to:
• Ensure the quality of educational provision
• Challenge and monitor the performance of the school
• Manage the Academy Trust’s finances and property
• Manage the staff
• Exercise reasonable skill and care in carrying out their duties
• Ensure that the Academy Trust complies with charity and company law
• Operate the Academy in accordance with the Funding Agreement that has been signed by the Secretary of State.
The Local Governing Body has delegated the majority of the roles and responsibilities to the following four committees which meet on a termly basis and report back to the full Local Governing Body each term:
► Achievement and Progress Committee - Chair: Mrs Mary O’Toole
► Finance and Premises Committee - Chair: Mrs Ann Kowalska
► Salaries and Personnel Committee - Chair: Mrs Joan Evans
► Strategy Committee - Chair: Father Jerome Fagan
Other Committees meet on a needs-driven basis and these include Admissions, Performance Management and Discipline. We also set up working parties as and when particular needs arise. The terms of reference for the Governing Body and Committees are available on request from Miss Maria Wilson, clerk to the governors.
Individual governors are linked to departments in order to foster closer relationships with the staff and so that governors gain a greater awareness of how the curriculum is delivered. The Special Education Needs governor meets regularly with the S.E.N.C.O to ensure that we are a fully inclusive school. This academic year we have introduced an initiative whereby a governor is in attendance at Consultation evenings to give parents and guardians the opportunity to raise any issues or concerns.
Please read more about our governors by clicking on the links to the right.