Special Educational Needs & Disability
Emmaus at St Thomas More
Emmaus is designed to be a place where pupils can find support and companionship on their journey through their years at high school.
It is designed to provide the safe space and resources for targeted/vulnerable students to engage in the curriculum at STM. The provision is to enable different learners to work on key aspects that will allow them success in the class room and as importantly to help our students to become citizens of the school. It should guide our pupils to understand independence and study skills so that students can become successful and confident. It should provide opportunities for pupils to have sustained social interaction and participate fully in the school community and curriculum.
At its best the provision nurtures the whole child cementing a this sense of community with the school. The provision allows key staff and pupils the opportunity to explore the unique talents each person has and discovery those that need developing. As a team we aim to support the pupil as a whole in both Academic and Social development.
We support in many areas throughout the school, for example;
- Lunch time support for pupils who may need the additional adult support/guidance when socialising with peers
- Breakfast club allowing our pupils to access a range of baked breakfast items
- Meet and greats tailored to individuals or groups of pupils
- Emotional well being and support (including Cognitive behaviour therapy, DOVE counselling sessions, talk therapy)
- Social skills groups and support
- Handwriting practice and guidance
- Homework club - open every night until 4.15pm
- Exam revision support
Please see the Key Policies and Statements page for our SEND policy, Information Report and Local Offer.